Friday, October 23, 2015

Current Events Quiz 2.2

1. What are the two potential causes of the Hidden Pines fire in Bastrop? Page A1 "New Hidden Pines..."?
- An overheating Shredder or a burn pile on the farm

2. Why was Alan Guckian nominated for a music educators award from the Grammy Foundation, according to the man who nominated him? Page B1 "Eastside band director...."

- Guckian is awesome and SaulPaul, the man who nominated him was impressed with how he interacted with the kids. He knows his craft and has a passion for music

3. Who is the favorite to win the F1 race to be held in Austin at the Circuit of America this weekend? Page C1 "Hamilton nearing  F1 season crown"

-Lewis Hamilton 

4. Name 3 types of apples mentioned in the story on page SA1 "Fall in love with apples"

-Honeycrisp, McIntosh, and Jonagold

5. Which of the 8 items in the "worthy of splurging" sounds like something you would like to try? Page D3 "Healthful foods are worth price tag"

-Real Vanilla because it adds the true flavor to the baked good or food


SHORT ANSWER
    My parents nor I have purchased a real textbook to have along with the digital copy  but I definitely have considered getting one. Every time the internet stops working or the book site is down I always tell myself, you need to get a textbook. 
    Not having a textbook hasn't hurt my grade yet but there are many times where I have to work extra hard to study for a test or finish the assigned homework. When the textbook isn't working I have to text a friend and ask them to send me the work or write an email to my teacher telling her that I couldn't do the homework. Furthermore, if I want to study something other than my notes and the textbook is down I just have to trust that what I'm reading on the internet is true. 
    I don't think going all digital was a good idea. I think it's okay to have the option of an online copy but the internet is not the most reliable thing and textbooks need to be easy to access and always available for you to use. 
     I do think that this trend will continue throughout the united states because it goes along with being green. Online textbooks don't require the use of paper so trees aren't being cut down. These days most everything can be done on your phone and that does make it convenient but I think that textbooks are just something that should be physical.
    I think the district decided to get rid of textbooks for two main reasons. One being that they don't want to waste paper and the online copies do just that. Two being the fact that a lot of kids are not responsible so the textbooks that are checked out to them either never get returned or come back ruined. Having an online copy makes it easy because it is available to everyone and there is no problems with getting the textbooks back.

No comments:

Post a Comment