Thursday, October 29, 2015

Current events Quiz 2.3

1. Who is the new Speaker of the house and what political party are they aligned with? Page A1 "GOP taps new speaker..."
-Paul Ryan and republican

2. What does the law in Texas specifically say regarding a persons failure to identify themselves? QUOTE directly from the story on Page B1 "Video taker sues in arrest"

-"Failure to identify becomes an offense if the person intentionally refuses to give a name, residence address, or date of birth to an officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information.

3. What two teams are playing in the world series? Page C1

-Kansas City Royals and the New York Mets

4. What are 2 Do's and 2 Don'ts when trying to bring autumn into your home decor? Page SA2 "Bring autumn indoors"

DOS
-Buy seasonal items that can serve as "foundation" pieces for your decor
-Look for unusual conversation pieces ti invigorate and enliven your decor

DONT
-buy seasonal items in colors that aren't part of your current decor
-Don't go overboard with your seasonal decor

5. Of the 5 weekend suggestions, which would you like to do most? Page D2 "The Long Weekend"

-"Living Springs" screening at the Zilker Hillside Theater


SHORT ANSWER
No I have not seen this video but after I write this I will go and watch it.
      I am appalled by what this officer did. A student was being disruptive and he flipped her out of her desk... that seems way overboard to me. First of all, I don't see why an officer was needed in this situation because it started as just a simple classroom disruption. Second, I do think this officer overreacted and should be fired for throwing this student across the room.
      I do think that police brutality is a problem in this country. Most everyday I hear stories about how a police did this or a police did that. Each case is something different and usually it was the police's fault. I think steps need to be taken to improve police methods and lower the police brutality rates.
      I don't think racism is behind most of these issues. Maybe a few, but most of them I believe the police officers just get caught in the moment and react on instinct. Most of the time, their instinct is a more dramatic action than needed for that particular situation so things go wrong. I don't believe this officer intentionally flipped the desk but rather was just his first reaction.
     Many things play a role in these police brutality issues, one of those being social media and cell phones. When things happen and people are around, these events are most always recorded. Whether it be a video, photo, snapchat, etc. they are put out there for everyone to see. When these videos or photos go viral is when the situation begins to look worse. Now I am not saying that there was anything handled correctly in this situation but videos make it look worse because people don't know what happened before and after the video was taken. Viewers can only go off what they can see. 
     I think that it is important that people see these things but I don't think social media is the best way. When things go on social media they explode (go viral quickly) and I don't think everyone needs to see that. I think the best way to inform people of these events is by the news because usually adults watch the news and these events could scare kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment